15 February 2018
Daniel Andrews and Labor are still not listening to Ballarat residents who want the planned destruction of Sturt St to be scrapped, says Member for Western Victoria Joshua Morris MP.
Ballarat residents and business owners are furious with plans that will permanently close six intersections on Sturt St while also tearing up the centre median strip of Ballarat’s internationally recognised heritage boulevard.
“I continue to be inundated with constituents contacting my office who are aghast at this proposed destruction of Sturt St. It is clear the people of Ballarat are overwhelming opposed to this shocking plan and it must be stopped,” Mr Morris said.
“This plan will hurt businesses who rely on car traffic and destroy the median strip of Sturt St for future generations. Quite simply, this plan should not go ahead.”
Ballarat City Council will meet on Wednesday 21 February to consider the plan, which includes a bike path down the centre median of Sturt St, along with the planned closure of six intersections on Sturt St between Dawson St and Ripon St.
This is not the first time the Andrews Labor Government has tried to impose a proposal like this on a famous Victorian boulevard. Only last year Labor proposed building a bike path down the middle of St Kilda Road, only to be stopped by the Port Phillip City Council. (LINK)
“Daniel Andrews wanted to ruin St Kilda Rd with a bike path, but the local council managed to fight him off. It is now up to the Ballarat City Council to do the same next week and tell Daniel Andrews his plan to ruin our magnificent boulevard must be abandoned.”
Mr Morris will be joined on Thursday by Shadow Minister for Roads and Infrastructure David Hodgett, where he will discuss the proposed changes.